GRID release 2018-02-08
A database of over 85,000 research institutes with persistent identifiers.
Institutes added from various sources including the US, China, France, Germany, Netherlands, Australia and other countries.
* US dependencies (American Samoa, Micronesia, Guam, Marshall Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, U.S. Minor Outlying Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands) are treated as states of the US.
* Chinese dependency Hong Kong is treated as a state/region of China.
* Changed country name from "Palestinian Territories" to UN and ISO standard "State of Palestine".
* Created parent-child relationships for around 200 multinational companies.
* Review of all EU bodies and agencies.
* Review of parent-child relationships of Sea Grant and Space Grant organisations.
* Adaption of country name changes: Czech Republic is now Czechia.
* Review of potential duplicates.
Note: the geonames information is from geonames.org and licensed as CC-BY 3.0.